Well we´ve been in Munich for two days now and let me just say, day two was significantly better than day one. Yesterday when we arrived in Munich, we discovered that our credit cards were not working when we went to pay for our hotel-- and we couldn´t get any cash out from the atm machines either. So we were literally stranded with no money. Thankfully I brought an emergency credit card for this kind of situation, but it was not something that I wanted to use very frequently, if ever. So then we tried calling our banks but were on hold for nearly an hour and it used all of our calling card minutes. So here we are, in Munich after a long day on the trains, without money or calling cards. We were both tired and frustrated and getting a little homesick, not to mention the fact that we had just checked into our first hostel of the trip and weren´t sure how we felt sharing a room with four random girls, when we´ve had a room to ourselves the entire time. So we were definitely not happy. And we got lost. Again. Getting lost has been something we´ve pretty much gotten used to on this trip... :) I´m learning to embrace it.
After we got in our room and dropped our bags off, we were able to get a hold of Lexie´s boyfriend who put money on our calling card and we were able to get a hold of our banks finally, who gave us access to our money again (apparently they didn´t record that we were going to be in Amsterdam so they thought it was a fraudulent charge...), and things started looking up. We even had an amazing dinner in the Marienplatz which is the main square of Munich, and had our favorite Rädler and sat for a couple hours people watching and resting. We even met the girls in our room and they were really nice, so everything here wasn´t so bad after all. We were starting to get adjusted to the city... :)
Then, this morning was probably the best day we´ve had on this entire trip! We woke up and met a group of people at the train station to take a two hour train ride to a little town on the Germany/Austrian boarder called Fussen and spent the day hiking and biking and swimming at the base of the Tyrols and went inside the Neuschwanstein castle that was the inspiration of Walt Disney´s Disneyland castle. It was amazing! It was warm and sunny and beautiful and I had so many "oh my gosh, am I really doing this right now..." moments. Like completely in awe of Creation. I don´t think I´ve ever been in a more beautiful place in my entire life yet, and I realized then, that that is why I travel. Those moments are why I endure frustrations, push through money issues and language barriers, and step outside myself and learn and be humbled, and why I will never, ever stop planning my next trip and my next adventure. We were biking through neighborhoods of little local Germans, pastures of cows, trails by rivers and roads throughout the mountain base. And everything in the world seemed to stop, like the entire area was ours. It was simply amazing. We all just sat on the train ride back in awe of what an awesome day it was, and we met some really cool people on the trip also. It was an experience I will definitely recommend to anyone going to Munich!
Tomorrow we´re going to be lazy and explore the city a little more, and then we´re going to take a night train to Venice tomorrow night and get there in the morning. So it will be nice to get into a new country again! Hopefully there I´ll be able to upload some more pictures, because at this hostel there is no way to. All I can say is that I am looking forward to the experience of real Italian food, coffee and gelato.... ahhh Italy... :)
(Hey this is Lexie, I really am here! :) Pretty much want to live in the Neuschwanstein castle...!)
-Megan and Lexie
(I´m trying to get Lexie to blog on here!! But she hasn´t done it yet...)
:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment