Tuesday, May 20, 2008

First days and such...

So after about 14 hours of travel, four in -flight movies and a lot of turbulence, we made it to London at 6am this morning (Tuesday)! And Andrew, if you're reading this, after 14 hours of plane rides together we already have your entire wedding planned out. And this is just day one of the trip... ;)

We also had a scary thing happen on the plane, demonstrating the faithfulness and goodness of God, but that story is for another time. :) We were definitely praising Him for his work though!

Besides that though I figured out that I haven't actually slept since Saturday night because I couldn't sleep Sunday night and we had to be up by 4am that day... and I can't sleep on planes. So I think it's going on about 50 hours of no sleep and counting for me... because apparently Rick Steves says the best way to fight jet lag is to take a "pinch me I'm in Europe walk" when you arrive and drink a lot of orange juice, but I think that's a bunch of crap. But even so, we took his advice and aren't letting ourselves sleep until at least five o'clock tonight... which means I have to tack another four hours onto that lack of sleep tally... :) But, who cares! We're in London! And so incredibly happy to be here. Seriously, we've been here for about 8 hours already and have done a ton of stuff. We went to Buckingham palace, had breakfast at a cute Starbucks in Bloomsbury where our B&B is, went to Westminster Abbey, walked all along Picadilly and Regent St., went to St. James park (beautiful!) and saw Big Ben, Parliament, etc. and ridden about 500 tubes already. We're pretty excited about how buff our legs are going to be at the end of this trip. :)

It's been beautiful weather here already and we're so happy it's not raining today. We're heading out to the British Museum soon to force ourselves to stay awake until 5, when we can crash after dinner! Other than that, we're both just totally excited to be here and can't really believe it's a reality.

Three things I've observed so far about London:

#1) The people smell really good
#2) The signs on the concrete telling you to "look right" or "look left" for traffic were written for people like me who nearly get run over by the cars who don't stop for pedestrians.
#3) And you have to learn to walk really fast over here... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're having a good time over there! Can't wait to stay updated on your whereabouts =)